Monday, July 2, 2007

How to shop at GNC

I definitely do not make a habit of shopping at GNC, but while out at Fort Dix I found myself in one. I felt like I was in a foreign land. What the hell is Anavator or whatever it is. I found myself reading the labels of these outlandish supplements and feeling stupified. Apparently I'm out of a job, because any one of these magical powders will pack 10 pounds of muscle on you in only one month! Wow!
Ok, so we all know that vast majority of these claims are total nonsense. I often have people ask me what supplements they should use.
Water.
Ok, there are some decent ones, but you already know what they are.
-Multi-vitamins
-Essential Fatty Acids
-Glucosamine complex
-A little protein
-Creatine once you have established a solid foundation of training and nutrition.

There's the problem. Many people jump into using all these supplements before they have ever even established a solid training plan. Even protein usage is wildly out of control. I used to go by the one gram per pound of body-weight rule, but have switched over to one gram per kilo (2.2 pounds) based upon research I've been reading. I have been using this formula myself for about four months now and seen no degradation in performance or body composition, so I feel it's dead on.
So what is a good formula if you must shop at GNC, to avoid the snake oil they sell there? If you look at a label, you should know what it is.

Protein. Vitamin C. Water. I know what that is. Looks good!

Aplodan. If you put a gun to my head, I couldn't tell you what this is. Case closed.

No comments:

Post a Comment