Thursday, December 17, 2009

Battling the mis-information Pt. 1

Recently there was some hulabaloo in the kettlebell community (at least locally) over this article.
Let me first say that I think this Dr. Wagner is probably a very good trainer who gets results for his clients. More than anything I think he is a victim of mis-information and probably a little bit of fear/jealousy. After all it would look kind of silly if a couple of guys in a studio full of cannonballs with handles on them were getting comparable results to him in a 100k facility.
Notice how I make an effort to treat Dr. Wagner with at least a modicum of respect, something he did not feel the need to do in his article.
What I would like to hit upon here is something that I think would have really benefited the good Doctor.
There is a mis-conception out there that we're kettlebell guys. We know a lot about kettlebells but not much else. I'll start with me. I have a long background in combat conditioning, both for Martial Arts and actual combat soldiers and Marines. I've also done more than my fair share of studying and application of Power Lifting methods and Girevoy Sport. There's more, but I won't bore you.
Mark Reifkind Master RKC has been an elite level gymnast, top ranked power lifter, endurance athlete, and part time Space Cowboy.
Brad Nelson Senior RKC is a Black Belt, accomplished Z Health Practitioner, and consultant to police agencies.
Dave Whitley Senior RKC is a Massage Therapist, Martial Artist, and Professional Performing Strongman.
Dr. Mark Cheng RKC Team Leader, L.Ac., Ph.D is the Chief Physician and Head Instructor for the Chung-Hua Institute of Traditional Chinese Medicine & Martial Arts Research.
These results are typical. You will be hard pressed to find anyone in the RKC leadership who is 'just a kettlebell guy'. They don't exist.
Here's the other thing, and this is where I'm going to twist off just a little bit. If you're going to go out on a ledge and assail our training methods, be ready to put your money where your mouth it. Not by pointing at some elite baseball player, you. See, the great thing about the population I work with is that they come from all walks of life and we build them into the elite. I am unimpressed by people who work with a population that is already elite and make them a hair more elite-er-er. I don't think that was a real word.
"Oh, but I'm so busy I don't have time to train."
I haven't slept since 2005. Save it.

No comments:

Post a Comment