Monday, February 18, 2008

In the interests of not killing you...

If you have trained with me, you have probably heard those words come out of my mouth before, most likely heralding the end of a session. Such as... "In the interests of not killing you, I think we'll bring this session to a close."
I bring this up because I took another off day today and decided to ramp down my morning snatches a bit. Not a lot, just a bit. I think I'm going to play them against my training cycles. If I'm overloading I bring them down, if I'm going light for a few weeks I bring them up. Primarily I want my body to become acclimated to doing them. So I have brought it down to a 20 kilo, and am going to alternate them with Jerks. As in one day- Snatches, the next day- Jerks, etc.
I love, love, love what I do. I love that I get to hang out with and learn from so many talented people. Today Cindy kicked me down some stuff she saw Pavel doing at the RKC in San Jose, and one of my clients who is a skilled massage therapist and yoga teacher corrected my janky cobra stretch form. You would be surprised how easy it is to teach this stuff all day, and then be all messed up in your own practice. Mostly because I take it for granted and get sloppy.
Below is a quick video showing a move you can do to build your core strength while also building your grip. Work to keep your body tight and not use momentum. I will try to completely stop at the bottom before returning to the top. This shows a basic, intermediate, and advanced version. Attempt to keep it around five reps. When you get over five make it more difficult.

I just saw a commercial for some movie called 'Never back down' and the guy was using kettlebells. It will probably suck, but I'm all over it.

No comments:

Post a Comment