Monday, February 25, 2008

There's hip snap, and then there's HIP SNAP!

Snappy hips are happy hips. Just had to throw that in again. :)
During the Axis workshop this weekend Tracy Reifkind did some swings for the Axis trainers, and this was the first time I saw her hip snap first hand and really payed attention to it. It hurts to watch this. You think for sure she's going to break something, but no, this is just the ultimate realization of what you're going for when it comes to the basis of most athletic movement.
I'm not a high volume swing guy, it's just not my thing (though I suspect it will be starting August 1st) but this degree of hip snap makes sense when Rif tells the trainers about the thousands of swings Tracy does. I'm not talking about in a week, I'm talking about in a workout.
I'm pointing this out because I'm seeing so many cases of people just not having any hip snap. None. It's not that they can't do it, it's that they don't quite know what it is. Having that essential component missing from your game is a huge problem, because you're missing out on a lot of the power you should be owning.

Below is some video I shot of a two 40 kilo kettlebell one handed deadlift. When I have access to 4 40 kilo kettlebells I'll try a 4/40 deadlift. I have to work out some positioning issues as I have a pretty small frame.

No comments:

Post a Comment