Monday, May 25, 2009

Three books you should read if you want to be strong.

I get asked a lot about what kind of training methods I use, how I build my strength, etc. The answer is pretty much contained in these three books.

Power to the People
really maps it out as far as the essence of using 'high tension techniques' to become stronger in your chosen lifts. The book focuses on the deadlift and side press, but these techniques can be applied to anything. Once more exemplifying that hard style is about the method, not the tool.

Enter the Kettlebell tells you pretty much everything you need to know as a beginner in the use of kettlebells, and is a good tool for even intermedeate and advanced lifters as well. Technique, programming it is all in there.

Naked Warrior is ostensibly about how to perform one legged squats and one arm push ups, but you could also think of it as the advanced version of PTTP. Don't get to wrapped up in the Pistol and one arm push up aspect of it, believe it or not. I have used these same principles to build my presses, my nail bending, card tearing, etc. However, when it comes to the pistols and one arm push ups, this is the real deal. This book took me from nothing to being able to pistol the 40 kg. kettlebell and perform a one arm/ one leg push up. That's no joke.

Let me also say that if you skimmed a friend's copy of these books and think you 'got the idea', you don't. I've read all these books at least five times, and I'm just starting to get it.

1 comment:

  1. Too true. I'm working my way through PTTP for the third (fourth?) time. The books look simple, but the material is much denser than you would think.

    ReplyDelete